I recently got my hands on a nice Fortinet router that fell off the back of a truck. Getting access to it was way harder than it should have been. Here’s how you do it.
1) Install FortiExplorer. Connect the usb cable to the router and go to the web view. First just try ‘admin’ and no password. If that fails, you’ve gotta reset it.
3) Download a firmware from the Fortinet ftp server: ftp://pftpintl:F0rt1intl@support.fortinet.com
4) Upload the firmware to the router.
5) Unplug the power. Plug it back in and wait for the router to boot up.
6) Use a pen to hold the reset button for about 5 seconds within 30 seconds of the router booting up.
7) At this point I was unable to access the web view. Maybe try rebooting again and see if it works. If it does, you’re done.
8) Install the new firmware that you uploaded in step 4. Reboot and login with ‘admin’ and no password.
I posted my troubles on the network engineering stack exchange site and got a helpful yet dickish reply.